Thursday, September 21, 2017

Expectations

I stumbled upon this quote during my nightly peruse of Twitter, and it really made the wheels turn. To me, it plainly speaks of expectations. At this point in the year, the honeymoon with kids is starting to fade, and we are seeing the child for who they really are. With that, great educators(all of us) are able to see kids, and their colleagues, for what they could be. People tend to rise to the level of our expectations, especially in a relationship that involves daily interactions.

As a new teacher in Baltimore, I remember failing miserably with a child who tested my buttons daily. I fought hard to change my attitude, but so many factors were working against me with this particular student, and it became easy to point out the areas that the child was lacking instead of meeting that child where they are and helping them to see that they have more in them. The worst part was that other students started to create the same expectation for that student, regardless of the fact that I never labeled or criticized the child in front of them. My expectations about this child came through in my body language and my daily interactions. After the year, I had to own this...and it left me a bit disappointed in myself.

Kids need us. They don't just need us, they depend on us to help them form their identity. Carol Dweck says that our students with the highest IQ scores often become the students with fixed mindsets because they are always expected to be smart...they forget how to be uncomfortable. Again, they rise to the level that we expect and adopt the traits we tell them they are.

One of the things I am most proud about regarding QUEST, and something I am seeing each day, is how we treat kids. We are a respectful--straight up caring--school that fills our learners with hope. What does this sound like?


  • At the start of a math lesson: "by the end of today, each of you will be able to ___________. You may need to think flexibly, but I have no doubt you have what it takes."
  • When disciplining a child: "I'm disappointed by your choice because I know this is not you...and you have so much in you. You're a great kid, and I know you will improve upon this. Let's chat about how we can fix this so people can see the type of person you really are!"
  • "I noticed that_________ did not give up on that problem! Of course they didn't give up...they never give up! "
  • To older friends: "you are leaders in this school. Thanks for always stepping up to help younger friends get on the bus."
I could go on and on and on. Feedback is crucial, and our feedback has the potential to lift people or flatten them. As we continue this journey together and get deeper into the year, be that person that lets every child know all the good they have in them. Notice it, help their classmates notice it, and model it through the way we encourage and lift one another. This is a job, but what we do each day has the ability to impact the rest of a child's life. See the good, share the good, and be the good. Be that person.

Go QUEST!

No comments:

Post a Comment