Thursday, May 17, 2018

Timely Reflection

We are in the final stretch: a season when it is easy to focus on all we have to do and forget that we still have one more lesson to teach, one more child to impact, and one more colleague to support. As we navigate this busy time of year, let's not forget to keep first things first. For example:

  • Standing in the hall as our learners arrive--we started that way, but it remains one of the more important things we do and an initial assessment of our students as they walk in.
  • Making time for that positive phone call home--it is common to do these at the start of the year, but imagine if we all called our students' parents at the end?
  • Sharing one more read aloud with your class.
  • Making time to laugh with colleagues. Fun is not an event, rather, it is a mindset in which we get to choose.
We will forever be busy--it's the norm in our country, but living mindfully requires us to stop, notice, and appreciate all we do and the gift in each day. 

I stumbled across this blog post from a leader in another state and thought I would share--it provided me with timely perspective. Let's finish this year on our most positive foot yet. 


Sunday, January 15, 2017


A Pencil... a Phone Call... and a Mom's Tears

It was a phone call that I will not soon forget.

This year I set a goal of making 100 positive phone calls home by the 100th day of school. I asked my teachers to let me know when they had a student they wanted to brag on. Last week, a teacher emailed me about a student she was proud of. This particular student was always coming to class unprepared. The teacher and student had a "heart to heart" conversation, and since then, the student has been bringing her pencil to class everyday.  I know that coming to class prepared is a big deal, and it can certainly be aggravating to a teacher always to be loaning pencils. Our students after all, need to be responsible. But I'll admit, I was a bit reluctant to call mom about something as petty as bringing a pencil to class.

I called the student down to my office to give her a high five, and despite my misgivings, I called mom. I told her how proud her daughter's teacher was of her for bringing a pencil every day.  The mom started crying. Through her tears, she said, "My daughter struggles in school. Thank you so much for telling me this." I had to end the conversation quickly because I didn't want to start crying in front of our sixth grader.  I hung up the phone, and the student's eyes were wet too. I could tell she was proud.

So this pencil was not petty; it was huge.

This phone call reinforced two important lessons for me:

First, teachers have tremendous power to brighten a student's day.  And through a quick phone call to a parent, they can bring some sunshine into their life as well.  Do not leave compliments left unsaid. When we're proud of our kids, we should tell them. When they're making progress, we should encourage them.  They will remember our kind words longer than they will remember our lesson.  We are not just offering our students an education; we are offering them hope.

And second, when we struggle with students, there is a good chance that parents experience those same struggles. There are parents who are nervous every time they put their kids on the bus; they experience a little bit of anxiety every time they drop their students off at school. They are wondering... 

"Will he get in trouble again today?"

"Will anyone sit with her at lunch?"

"Will the kids mess with him in the hallway?

"Will she forget her pencil again?"

There are some students for whom school is not a good experience, and parents share in that struggle with their child. They experience it through the silence in the car, through the constant "stomach aches" in the morning, and sometimes through the very real tears.  These students need our attention, they need our patience, and they need our love.  Educators make a difference for students every day, and as it turns out... they make a difference for parents too.

No comments:

Post a Comment