I recently stumbled upon a poem, or quote of sorts, that spoke about the idea of waiting to be happy until the next "thing" arrives.
- I'll be happy when I get married.
- I'll be happy when it is summer break.
- I'll be happy when I get a new job.
- I'll be happy when I have a child.
- I'll be happy when my children are on their own.
- I'll be happy when I retire.
- I'll be happy when I move...
Have you ever caught yourself in that mindset? How about during the month of June as educators? It is so easy to delay our happiness and to think that the next stage, the next new thing, or the next step of life, will make us happier--in some ways it can give us an initial jolt of happiness. But happiness is much more complex than that; happiness is a choice that we each have to make. Every.Single.Day.
Why am I writing about happiness?
I recently caught myself reflecting on the year: my mistakes, my shortcomings, the obstacles that are holding me back both personally/professionally; in doing so, I started to think about the patterns of life and how there have been so many times where it has been easy to get caught in the "once this happens i'll be happy" mindset.
QUEST, dare to be different. If we are going to be mindful, the sum of all of us needs to be about people who enjoy the work, no matter the month or stress around us. Don't delay happiness, but instead let's find it in the moment.
As we close out a busy and tiresome month, let's take plenty of time to stop and notice. Notice one another. Notice the growth our learners made. Notice how far we have come as a school community by working together. Just notice. Through that noticing, I hope you find contentment and a sense of satisfaction in a year that we totally won...together!


No comments:
Post a Comment