On our blog we have a Craig's List. Although some have added needs and items on there, using it like a traditional Craig's List, I want to encourage you to look at this through a different lens. What if we request to see a lesson of some sorts? For example: "I'm looking to see a home-run guided reading lesson that follow a Jan Richardson format"or " I want to see a lesson that incorporates guided inquiry." I'd encourage you to take a risk and find a way to visit others--we can always hunt for coverage, or I will gladly cover myself if I am free. See this message from Cathy L. Looking to observe something? Just email Hannah or I and we will add to the Craig List. If you are willing to have someone watch you, pay attention to this list and simply invite them in! Together, we are better!
Colleagues,
While I had my student teacher, Kara, I was able to observe some of you fabulous teachers during Kara's solo week. It was such a wonderful experience going into classrooms to see what and how others teach. I often question myself with how I am doing as a teacher and struggle with thinking of new ways to stay fresh. Observing others opened my mind to so many different approaches to teaching. It was the little things like watching Katie teach a guided reading lesson and seeing how she seamlessly moved from one topic to the next, how Nate captures the inner writer in all his students, Judy having meaningful conversations through guided reading, and Brenda teaching about cells in a way that makes sense to her students. It also gave me perspective from seeing where my students came from, to seeing where they are headed. I came back to my class more excited to teach! We really do have a special school. I highly recommend you take advantage of our schools "craigslist" and take some time for yourself to go into another teachers room. It could simply be a half an hour of your day. It is totally worth. My door is always open!
Cheers!
Cathy

No comments:
Post a Comment