There is incredible power in what we say to ourselves. When we beat ourselves up, when we listen to the negative voices inside our heads, and when we trust--too much--the perspective of others, we are setting ourselves up for failure. How do you talk to yourself? What are the "I am" statements you say to yourself when you look in the mirror? Often, we do not even say I am out loud, but instead it is a looming voice inside our heads. We make a mistake:
- "I'm not good enough."
- "I'm not organized enough."
- "I'm not smart enough."
- "I'm not patient enough."
We become what we say. As complex as our minds are, they always want to find the negative. Watch your self talk this year and be sure to be intentional regarding who you say you are. You deserve that.
Sometimes it feels so much easier to be thoughtful with our "you are" statements versus our "I am" statements. As a team that spends a lot of time together, what are we doing to help one another see the good that lies within each of us? How about for our kids?
People, and children included, will rise and fall the the level of our expectations. If in your head you've already defined who someone is, you have closed the door to really get to know who they are. With our students, how easy is it to tell students who they are:
"You are a great writer."
"You are inattentive."
"You struggle in math..."
"You are a risk taker!"
Have you noticed the You are _________(profile) posters in the hall? Do our kids see the profiles in themselves? Do they believe they are those profiles?
Overall, I believe we are a pretty positive school. We want to do right by kids, and we definitely take care of one another. With that being said, let's never settle. I noticed how hard it was at our SEL training for some of us to lift ourselves up. We can find it in others, but struggle when it comes to us.
As we move forward, be intentional with what you put after I am and you are. What we put after them can lift us up or tear us all down...it can build connections, or ruin them. WE are QUEST, and WE are destined for great things.
Proud to be your Principal, and I am grateful to be part of a school that is intentional. Have a great weekend!


No comments:
Post a Comment