Wednesday, November 29, 2017

From Andrea: Rule #1: If you can make a kid's day, make a kid's day. Read on!

See below for a heartfelt message from Matt at Ditch That Textbook. The link after the message will bring you to a page with some pretty cool teaching ideas. If you don't already subscribe to this blog, you'll LOVE Matt and his inquiry/technology tools!
Confession time.

I got to be a substitute teacher in my kids' school yesterday -- half day fifth grade, 
half day second grade..

The day started great. In less than 15 minutes, I scored some sweet Pokemon drawings by a fifth grade boy. 

Later in the day, the students got into groups and played some math board games. 
My Pokemon artist was the last one in line. Grabbed a game and walked over to me. 
Looked up at me.

He wanted to play with ME. I just didn't see it.

I was focused on not messing up lesson plans. Had a teacher pop in the room that 
distracted me.

So what did I do? I assigned him to the one group that needed a fourth student.


Blew it. Totally, totally blew it. He was in a group with a kid he didn't get along with. 
Ten minutes later, tears ensued.

I violated rule number one: 
If you can make a kid's day, make a kid's day.

We had less than five minutes left in class, but we played a quick game together. 
He left with a smile, and it was better than it could have been. 
But I missed a golden opportunity.

(Still fighting a lump in my throat writing this ...)


Take it from my mistake yesterday. Make a kid's day. 
Don't miss that golden opportunity.

OK ... deep breath, swallow that lump, move on ...


The end of the semester can be a tricky time when there are 
LOTS of 
distractions like the ones I mentioned.

It's also full of opportunity. 
Today's post has some ideas for thriving - instead of surviving - the end of the semester.
Click here to check it out. I hope it's useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment