Friday, January 26, 2018

The Journey Begins

I left Tuesday's CIA feeling optimistic, knowing that we have the right people on this bus. You all displayed open-mindedness and the smarts to make this RtI shift a potential reality for us in the future. I was impressed. 

Take a moment to look at the last slide. We get it! 


RtI represents a shift--one that this school will do well with. After the meeting I had a handful of people come up to me hungry for more, and some had ideas of how they would like to support an intervention time at their level. I love and appreciate the energy that I am seeing, but more than that I am glad that people are already seeing the merit in RtI. 

Take a look at what the Hattie research says about RtI. As a reminder, Hattie does a meta-analysis, which means he looks at all studies on a topic to draw his conclusions. To break this down for you further, anything over .4 falls in the zone of desired effect, meaning it has the largest impact on student learning. Below, in the green, are some of those higher leverage approaches. As you can see, RtI is off the charts.  

This year, all we have to do is learn about RtI. That's it. Any potential change should be navigated together, be measured, and be implemented with our kids in mind. We will get there, but for right now,  I am committed to us being learners --we can worry about the next logical step at the end of this year. Read on your own, spend some time researching, begin looking for videos online...check out some of the posts that will be coming on the blog. Be an inquirer and open-minded to new learning, but most importantly, always remember that a big reason we will do well with this kind of shift is because we know how to serve kids TOGETHER. That is what makes me the most hopeful. 

Awesome week, QUEST. Keep pluggin'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment