Thursday, October 25, 2018

Oh November, we are ready...

Every season in education is a busy season, but doing things well and being great--which is what we strive for-- often comes at a cost, and in some cases that cost is the resource of time. Three-way conferences are an example of this. Let's be honest, they are powerful. Kids as agents of their learning, parents as partners...

Some of us have these down to a science, others of us are learning about them and doing them for the first time, and a few of us are reinventing how we do them altogether. Regardless, let's be honest: this incredible work that we do during November can make life at school feel busy. With being busy comes stress. 

Team, this year I want to push you to be incredibly disciplined about taking good care of you during November. I've added a third week of no meetings out of respect and honor for the work you do, but I would ask that you also acknowledge the chaos of the season. With that, I would respectfully request that you then meet that chaos with a mindful approach. 

Maybe: 
  • Keep a gratitude journal again. 
  • Find time, during the day, to go sit in silence in the auditorium.
  • Make time to laugh with your colleagues and students.
  • Exercise.
  • Schedule a date night with your spouse.
  • Turn your work email off and be home when you are home.
  • Choose to see the good in the busy.
Not every principal gets to lead a staff of people who ALL dump their entire heart into their work, but with that comes my job responsibility of reminding you to take time for yourself. I value the work you are doing this month with parents and kids, and I appreciate all the efforts that go into it. 

WE are QUEST. Let's make November a great month for kids. 

Enjoy no meeting weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment